.

About Us

Butuan Democrat

The greatest good is getting the enemy to surrender without ever having to fight. -Sunzi


Crushed and Pixelized


'All of this has happened before And all of this will happen again So say we all.' ~ Battlestar Galactica


Rax

Holler



March 8 is International Women's Day


Ending Impunity for Violence against Women and Girls

Rax


Going paperless



Happy new year everyone! As usual, I finished my cleaning frenzy a few hours before the start of the new year (out with old and in with the new routine). As I waited for the people from the junk shop to come over and haul my discarded things, I noticed that the amount of paper I wasted came up to hip high piles (duh... im a law student). The picture is only last sem's readings plus miscellaneous drafts from OLA work. (By the way, I throw these out since I'm highly allergic to dust and the photocopy ink, a health hazard for me and also for those poor trees.)

I really think that not only the government but also schools should start going paperless. Law schools in particular. I'm glad that lex libris and elibrary has come out with student editions, but unfortunately the price does not fit an ordinary student's budget. So people like me, although allergic to dust magnets and photocopy ink, have to endure the skin rashes just to be able to comply with the daily reading assignments we have. Fortunately, our infotech class lets me take a breather from my antihistamines by having the readings online. (my GRATITUDE, sirs)

The change will come eventually I suppose. Our government has already jumped on the paperless bandwagon and even our own Supreme Court has taken an interest in this matter ever since the Regional Judicial symposium last July 2006 which was held in Singapore. The Supreme Court of Singapore has advocated the use of "paperless courts"” where parties could submit their pleas electronically and have their cases calendared likewise.

Some cool stuff about Singapore's Supreme Court (I wish we have this soon)

1. From the entrance to the lobby you can check the schedule of hearings from a computer screen,

2. In the bistro, you can while away time in a bar while waiting for your case to be called through SMS. (I love this one, no loitering outside courts or being stared at by detainees)

3. ATM inside the Supreme Court where you can pay your bills, access your banking accounts, and plead guilty to a traffic violation and pay the corresponding fine.

This kind of ambiance is something that will surely make the practice of law and judicial work an enjoyable experience. And in turn, hopefully these new developments will spill over to law schools and make our stay in law school errr... healthier.

So guys, lets help out with the paperless advocacy, if not for the reasons above, then think about all those trees we're killing and the boxes of files in OLA that we have to literally dig through in order to get the right file. :)


posted by Rax @ 3:22 PM; |

>>>